Tuesday, June 24, 2008

Introducing..................Princess Penny


So it is a funny story how we ended up with Miss Penny, but we couldn't be happier with our little kitty.

We started out about 2 years ago trying to find a dog for Steve. He really wanted a Newfie so I scoured the internet looking for one at a reasonable price. I happened upon a rescue organization that "claimed" to have a Newfie mix available. After he returned from work one day, it was off to meet the little lady. Unfortunately, it was pretty apparent at first glance that she was not a newfie mix at all, but we fell in love and took her home. For a little while it was okay, frustratiing, but okay. Then Miss Pepper started to show signs of aggression toward one of our girls and we returned her to the rescue (which by the way does not refund your money or offer you another puppy)

A little while later, I was surfing the net again and found a dog that I found just adorable and thought would fit into our lives a bit better than our first furry friend. So, off we drove to Chicago to meet the lady. A three year old beagle mix named Sheila. Turns out she was great. Very gentle with the kids and pretty housebroken as well. She was growing on me when her bad habit was discovered, digging and escaping from the fenced yard. Well, I fixed the hole and put patio blcoks down hoping to discourage her. Then one day, when I was preoccupied with housework, and confident she was sleeping under the porch; Sheila has escaped. Never to be found again. We miss her and wish very much that we had kept her on a leash when she was outside.

So, that brings us to the third time. Supposed to be a charm right? Well, not so much in this case. We visited my brother to remove our truck from his driveway where it was being stored and went home with one prue bred Jack Russell terrier. And what a terrier he was. He ruined my basement door and a chalk board easel of the kids' before I realized, he was a little more high strung than I could handle. Eventually a good friend of mine found him a home (her own, thanks again Cori).

Shortly before Jack left, I was offered the oppurtunity to have a different kind of companion join the family. I figured canines weren't working so why not try a feline. Turns out I may be a crazy cat lady in disguise. Things have been going great and if she survives my girls and there constant need to pick her up I think she will be just the kind of pet we were looking for.


How she got her name is pretty boring. We were having a long family discussion about what to call her. For awhile we just said cat and kitty. I suggeted a few names here and there, but nothing we all agreed on. Then as we got to know her better we figured it out. Shortly after arriving, she found a pen on the floor and it became her favorite toy. So, she became Penny. I thought that wasn't fitting enough so we added in the Princess part.



Her only flaw so far would be her constant need to attack you as you walk by or while you are sleeping We've had to sleep with a heavy blanket on even as the warm weather hit because she is prone to attack our legs during the night. Even still, she's our little Princess Penny and it wouldn't be the same without her.

2 comments:

Freddie Dawn said...

I told you to get another cat!!

Chelsea said...

Sarah---I moved my blog AGAIN!

www(dot)frommysideofthefence(dot)com

Where is your Tell it to me Tuesday?