Friday, November 7, 2008

H8


The recent events of the last few days concern me to the core. The election, which was highly emotional was a momentous occasion for the world. While I am still adjusting to it and am disappointed that the canidate I preferred did not win, I have remained calm. Apparently so have 42% of the country who voted for the losing party.
Then you have a group of people in California who had something similair happen to them. They voted one way and the results were not what they hoped they would be. Instead of accepting defeat and remaining determined to stand up and let their voices be heard in a civilized manner; this group of people have resorted to violence and hatred as a means of protesting the defeat.
I do not live in CA, nor was I able to vote on the Proposition 8 measure. Had I been able to; my vote would have supported it. Not out of hatred or bigotry, but in defense of my own personal belief system. I believe that the homosexual lifestyle is wrong as is allowing marriage between two people of the same-sex. That does not mean I am a homophobe or a religious zealot. I simply have a different opinion of this social issue than those who support it. I do believe that every human should have free will to decide what they will be and how they will live their lives. However, I also believe they should allow those who do not agree to stand up for their point of view.
The fact that these people have marched into what I consider a very sacred are near the LA Temple of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints absolutely sickens me. I did not go into their homes and yell and scream at them that they were immoral or disgusting for their choice and yet, in the video I saw, a group of very angry and hateful people shouting awful things at those who came to worship God at a very holy spot for their religion.
Hatred should not be tolerated by anyone towards anyone.

No comments: