Wednesday, November 5, 2008

Still Spinning

I knew before I cast my vote yesterday that it didn't mean anything for the election results. For weeks now they were showing Obama as the projected winner. In fact, my decision to vote came only after some encouragement from family and friends to let my voice be heard. I'm not sure that it really was. It is truly the first time since I turned 18, I wish I had never voted.

It struck me this morning as I briefly watched the news, that no one was pointing out the popular vote at all. If you look at the actual number of people who voted for each canidate, the numbers are really not that far apart. 52% to 47%.

So, when all is said and done I guess it was the right thing to do. I showed my support for the canidate I believe stands up for the values that keep America strong and free. Unfortunately, it also shows how truly divided this country still is even with all the come together, we can make a difference jargon. Talk is cheap.

I was also struck by those who payed no attention to the winning canidates credentials. They have elected a man to the highest office of the nation despite the fact that he has never led anything. He is a rookie being asked to play in the biggest game when the home team is down. If this was a job interview and the two handed in their resumes, would an employer honestly give the job to the less qualified applicant.

To me this election was about payback for the Republicans, well actually just one, Bush. I believe that the Democratic canidate would have been elected no matter who they were. It is about hatred for man who has given 8 years of his life to service in this country, who as president deserves some respect. Yes, I will agree his decisions have not always been popular or even the best, but why should that become a personal attack on his character and intelligence.

I struggle to make sense of the decision that has now been made for me. The band wagon was very full last night.

No comments: